[Tagging] Proposed relation give_way

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Mar 15 14:34:28 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 4:13 AM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > It is for navigation. Imagine a corner right before an intersection: the
> > navigator would warn you that you'll have to give way or to stop, and
> you'll
> > prepare the corner accordingly.
>
> I don't know any commercial car navigation system that warns you about
> give-ways or stops. Perhaps because it has no influence on the route
> itself. And that the decision to stop or go depends on the actual
> traffic. And you cannot rely on OSM for your driving decisions.

I choose my route based on what's in OSM all the time...literally about
half of my workday is in the car.

> Imagine that your navigator warns you 4 times to give way and the
> information is missing in OSM for the fifth...
> But I guess that this discussion is repeating the same arguments we
> had about stop signs.

 But that goes with any electronic navigation and driving aid and isn't OSM
specific.  Hell, in Oklahoma there's places where you just have to know the
ramp connects to the highway you want to go to because they signed it as
the most common destination exclusivley (such as the south end of OK-11
where it meets I-244; on I 244, it's simply signed "Tulsa International
Airport" with no mention that you're on OK 11 until you're after the
curve).  Or the Pacific Northwest, thanks to lax record keeping and a lack
of public push to stop it, the meth heads will steal and recycle anything
metal, in which you just have to know that you're supposed to stop or give
way, since they're not huge on pavement markings except on the most major
streets there.