[Tagging] Proposed relation give_way

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 11:30:49 UTC 2013

2013/3/16 Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk>

> Absolutely wrong, obeying traffic rules is 100% the drivers
> responsibility. There already enough numpties on the road, without
> giving them another reason to blame the satnav.
>
> A satnav should only use the presence of give ways and stops to
> calculate routing times and hence the optimum route.

I disagree. While it's true that no navigator can relieve the driver from
its responsibility of driving with care, I don't see why a navigator
shouldn't warn the driver about features. By your line of reasoning, PNAs
shouldn't warn you about the speed limit either. A PNA does the same job
that a friend on the passenger seat would do: the job is to let you know
things you probably don't know. A person can understand whether you noticed
the red light, and would warn you just if it looks like you missed it; an
automatic navigator could simply tell you "Give way 100 metres ahead", I
see nothing wrong with that.

Again, imagine being in a large street of a large city and not knowing the
neighbourhood. In that scenario, you can't just "go slow" enough to take
your time and read the signs: you would be legally entitled to do so, but
in fact you would be more dangerous (and in danger) than safe. In that
scenario, every little help with getting information would be great. Of
course you could never count on it, but some voice hints could help you
look for the right things with your eyes.

Ciao,

Simone