[Tagging] Proposed relation give_way

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Mar 17 02:31:03 UTC 2013

On Saturday, March 16, 2013, Philip Barnes wrote:

> A junction with stop sign will take longer to accomplish as the presence
> of the stop sign indicates reduced visibility.

Except in places that tend to overuse stop signs.  The west coast states,
Idaho, and to a lesser extent other states that allow motorcycles and
bicycles to roll stop signs (Oklahoma has this rule primarily because our
state's legislature misguidedly thinks pavement traffic sensors are based
on weight, not magnetism; the big cities and ODOT have largely subverted
this by switching to optical sensors since the law went into effect), tend
to post stop signs where yield signs, even all-way yields (such as are
common on minor intersections in the central plains), would be more
appropriate.

> Absolutely wrong, obeying traffic rules is 100% the drivers
> responsibility. There already enough numpties on the road, without
> giving them another reason to blame the satnav.
>
> A satnav should only use the presence of give ways and stops to
> calculate routing times and hence the optimum route.

I have a strong feeling, based on existing usage, that warnings for stops
and give ways will be generated by the folks with the knowledge to do so,
with understanding that doing so is not fool proof.  This information in a
satnav is still handy for the sake of knowing whether or not OSM is aware
of these objects while surveying.