[Tagging] Tagging Digest, Vol 42, Issue 26 Historic huts

St Niklaas st.niklaas at live.nl
Wed Mar 27 13:14:45 UTC 2013

Hi Steve and Volker,> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 09:16:13 +0100
> From: Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com>
> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
> 	<tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Historic huts
>
> What about:
> amenity=shelter
> historic=alpine_hut
> ruins=yes (if appropriate)
>
> Volker
> (Padova, Italy)
>
> On 27 March 2013 05:16, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >   Just wondering how best to tag the historic "alpine" huts we have in
> > the mountains of southeast Australia. Some basic properties:
> > - usually fully enclosed (4 walls and a roof) although not necessarily
> > weatherproof
> > - usually have fireplaces
> > - sometimes in good enough condition to sleep in (bring your own
> > mattress and bedding)
> > - primarily of historical interest, rather than for accommodation.
> > That is, you might have lunch in the hut, or camp next to it - you
> > wouldn't hike without a tent and plan to sleep in the huts. (They
> > often have rodent and/or snake inhabitants...)
> > - could possibly be completely uninhabitable or ruined. (Hiking maps
> > here typically don't make much distinction, they might say "Smith Hut
> > (ruins)")
> > - typically built between 1850 and say 1920 by stockmen (cattle farmers).
> > - only maintained for their heritage value - no one improves them,
> > there's no hut warden or anything.
> >
> > Is this just an Australian thing? tourism=basic_hut seems like the
> > closest, but still promises accommodation. I think most Australians
> > would know what to expect, but there are frequent stories of unhappy
> > Europeans expecting hot meals in the middle of nowhere...
> >
> > An example of a hut I visited on the weekend, Kelly Hut near Licola.
> > Rough wooden walls, corrugated iron roof, stone chimney, dirt floor.
> > There's a very rough sleeping platform (no mattresses), no table or
> > chairs. The door is a sheet of corrugated iron. I'd have lunch in
> > there, especially on a cold day, but I wouldn't sleep in there unless
> > desperate.
> >
> > Steve

Since the hut is situated in Australia, why
name it Alpine hut ? I always thought the Alps to be a European
mountain range. In rural uninhabited areas there
will be shelters like it all over the world.

I would rather name it neutral, fi (mountain) hut, cabin or lodge. Despite
of the former use, for cattle, hunting or just for emergency like Alpine
shelters in remote areas.

If it’s not maintained I would use abandoned instead of ruins. And yes
without maintenance it would graduatedly become a ruin but that’s mainly the
climate.

amenity=shelter, (mountain)hut, cabin or lodge

historic=cattle or stockmen, hunting or mining.

disused, abandoned or ruin=yes

Just to avoid the disappointment of reaching a hut being a ruin or inhabetable.

Greetz
Hendrik