[Tagging] informal helipads for emergency use

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sat Mar 30 00:58:09 UTC 2013

Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 6:47 AM, Stephan Knauss <osm at stephans-server.de> wrote:
>
>> Could it be stored inside the emergency key?
>> so leave away the aeroway and store as emergency=helipad?
>
> Since it is "informal" and applies to "level grassy areas", what will
> be tagged is just an "arrangement with the landowner". Because
> informal helipads can be everywhere ...
> I would say that such information should be moved to a separate
> dataset and not in OSM.

I think Richard's use of "informal" may be confusing.   These places are
not constructed to helipad standards.  But they are designated in
writing and shared between the local Fire Department/etc. and the
medevac service.  Probably there is a written memorandum of
understanding between the fire department and the landowner.  So the
arrangement to use is plenty formal; it's the facility which is not
constructed to standards.