[Tagging] When was barrier=entrance abandoned ?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed May 8 21:01:20 UTC 2013

2013/5/8 Dudley Ibbett <dudleyibbett at hotmail.com>

>  I'm afraid to say that it isn't abandoned as I am also using it in rural
> mapping as described below.

+1, I'm also using it.

> I would agree with the comment that people could tag, barrier=gate and
> entrance=yes and this would then no longer identify the current use of
> barrier=entrance which is a gap in the barrier.  Changing to using
> entrance=yes could therefore result in a loss of useful information.

it would be an alternative to simply leave a gap in the barrier (requires 2
nodes instead of 1, but also implicitly conveys information about the
width, then on the other hand it is more complicated to evaluate than an
explicit node on the intersection with a width tag).

> I did look at entrance=* when deciding which tag to initially use and the
> wiki seems to be written in the context of an urban environment and
> entering something.  This left me with barrier=entrance.

yes, barrier=entrance is a much older tag and defines a gap/opening in a
barrier, while entrance=* was created as a substitute for building=entrance
and defines the entrance to something (generally a building).

> I think that the status of abandoned should be removed.

+1, actually I just did it now. A tag which is 35k times in use can hardly
be abandoned and AFAIK there was no discussion about this. My guess is that
someone was confusing building=entrance with barrier=entrance (you can also
see this by the description he added to the wiki).

>   I do however note that entrance=* is in the barrier=hedge wiki page for
> a gap, which adds to the confusion.

+1, that really sounds strange. I'd suggest to change this with
barrier=entrance.

Cheers,
Martin