[Tagging] pk vs kp on *=milestone and default unit?

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Thu May 16 15:09:51 UTC 2013

fly wrote:
> There was a ticket [1] filled on josm trac about milestones.
>
> Now I am a bit puzzled as the tag pk= seems to be Frensh and should be
> kp=* in English. This is even written in the wiki. Though the usage is
> 100:1 towards pk=*.

Where (outside of OSM) is "kp=" used on a road distance indicator?

I've never heard of it in English English.  In American English there's
"mile number" which is used to refer to the area at a certain distance
from X, not a physical marker (do they use "mile marker" for that?  I
think they might).  There's one use of "kp=" in the UK, apparently:

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org.uk/keys/kp

which is here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/2119528545

I'm guessing from it's location that that one is an actual "milestone"
(i.e. made of stone) whereas the picture on the wiki page

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=milestone

most certainly is not.  That wiki page reckons that an actual milestone
rather than a distance marker is a "historic=milestone" rather than a
"highway=milestone", apparently.

Obviously OSM English != any variety of spoken English, but I wonder
what highway distance markers in the UK, USA, Australia etc. are tagged as?

Cheers,
Andy