[Tagging] pk vs kp on *=milestone and default unit?

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Thu May 16 19:01:56 UTC 2013

Am 16.05.2013 17:09, schrieb SomeoneElse:
> fly wrote:
>> There was a ticket [1] filled on josm trac about milestones.
>>
>> Now I am a bit puzzled as the tag pk= seems to be Frensh and should be
>> kp=* in English. This is even written in the wiki. Though the usage is
>> 100:1 towards pk=*.

The major problem is that it is used so far mainly in France for
waterways. Now I am looking for a tag which is better understandable and
could be used for at least highways and waterways. "Distance" seems to
be to general.

> Where (outside of OSM) is "kp=" used on a road distance indicator?
>
> I've never heard of it in English English.  In American English there's
> "mile number" which is used to refer to the area at a certain distance
> from X, not a physical marker (do they use "mile marker" for that?  I
> think they might).  There's one use of "kp=" in the UK, apparently:
>
> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org.uk/keys/kp
>
> which is here:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/2119528545
>
> I'm guessing from it's location that that one is an actual "milestone"
> (i.e. made of stone) whereas the picture on the wiki page
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=milestone
>
> most certainly is not.  That wiki page reckons that an actual milestone
> rather than a distance marker is a "historic=milestone" rather than a
> "highway=milestone", apparently.
>
> Obviously OSM English != any variety of spoken English, but I wonder
> what highway distance markers in the UK, USA, Australia etc. are tagged as?

Think there are all three kinds, ancient historical ones, still in use
real stones and the new signs. Still the have the same purpose and you
can mix the tags as well.

cu
fly