[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Substation Refinement

Frank Villaro-Dixon frank at villaro-dixon.eu
Wed May 22 15:26:02 UTC 2013

On 05/21/2013 11:28 PM, Ole Nielsen wrote:
> After being developed over a couple of months the Substation Refinement
> proposal is now ready for comments
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Substation_refinement
>
> The proposal is really two proposals in one.
>
> 1: New "power=substation" tag for all substations.
> First of all it aims at fixing the power=sub_station versus
> power=station dispute. The power=station tag was really created by
> accident (German for substation is "Station") whereas "power station" in
> English actually is a synonym for a power plant. And "sub_station" is
> wrongly spelled. Thus the proposal introduces the new tag
> power=substation for all types of substations to replace the two former
> tags.
That seems Ok ;)

> 2: New attributes for substations, new tagging scheme for substation
> components.
> The proposal introduces new attributes substation=* and location=* for
> substations. Further it introduces or improves the following tags:
> power=switchgear, line=busbar, line=bay, power=switch,
> power=transformer, power=converter, power=compensator. Various
> attributes for these tags are also defined.

	I wonder if this level of granularity is really that useful ?
Where's the limit ? I mean: without knowing all the complete diagram,
all of that is a bit useless, no ?

	Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would be like changing from mapping
only the signals/signs on the railroads to mapping each of the elements
of the railroad such as the level-crossing sensors, speed-control
beacons, axle counters, data pickup units, etc..

	IDK, maybe this is used somewhere (In that case, I'd love to see a
pratical example ;) ).

	Anyway, the RFC is very well done ;)

> It is possible that a future vote on the proposal will be split into two
> separate votes according to the 'subproposals'.
>
> Ole N

Frank

--
Frank Villaro-Dixon - PGP: 6F36914A