[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Substation Refinement

Ole Nielsen on-osm at xs4all.nl
Wed May 22 20:29:20 UTC 2013

On 22/05/2013 17:26, Frank Villaro-Dixon wrote:
> 	I wonder if this level of granularity is really that useful ?
> Where's the limit ? I mean: without knowing all the complete diagram,
> all of that is a bit useless, no ?
>
> 	Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would be like changing from mapping
> only the signals/signs on the railroads to mapping each of the elements
> of the railroad such as the level-crossing sensors, speed-control
> beacons, axle counters, data pickup units, etc..
>
> 	IDK, maybe this is used somewhere (In that case, I'd love to see a
> pratical example ;) ).

Whether such detailed mapping is useful only time can tell but there are
certainly mappers who want to add such information. From Taginfo:
power=busbar (13795), power=switch (8591), power=transformer (8958) to
mention the most frequently used substation component tags.
With this proposal I have tried to define the granularity at which
substations should be mapped. For example busbars and bays should be
mapped at the circuit level, not as individual conductors. With the
exception of power=switch (because it is so popular) it is recommended
not to map bay components (disconnectors, instrument transformers, surge
arresters etc) or other fine details.

Ole N