[Tagging] Recreation_ground (landuse vs leisure)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon May 27 14:36:49 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 05/27/2013 03:38 PM, Tobias Knerr wrote:
> For syntactic changes such as typo fixes, I do not consider
> it necessary to gather on-the-ground evidence, because you are not
> changing what the data says about the situation on the ground (the
> semantics). Instead, your responsibility is to check the wiki
> documentation, the number of uses in taginfo and so on - these are
> sources for the _syntax_ of tags.

*And* discuss it on the lists beforehand, to make sure you have not
overlooked something.

*And* have the capability to revert your edit in case something does go
wrong.

> If a diligent research using these sources does not turn up a result,

Problem is that if you are planning to edit something in Peru then
"diligent research" would include at least to find out where the
Peruvian community is hanging out (mailing list? facebook? forum?) and
ask them, in Peruvian, what they think of your edit.

Because the wiki is not the authoritative source of OSM discussion, and
you cannot expect them to document everything they do, in English, on
the Wiki.

Most people won't be capable of such truly diligent research. At the
very least they should discuss their plans on lists where there's a
likelyhood of someone familiar with the situation in Peru can chip in.

> It is not too much to ask that you document a
> newly invented tag that could easily be confused with an existing one,

I think it *is* too much to ask, especially if you add "in English".

> Insisting that we
> leave rarely used, undocumented misspellings or duplicates alone

My main problem is with people wanting to make these changes in a "lone
cowboy" fashion, without talking to others, without discussing,
sometimes even without documenting what exactly they want to change. If
you want to be a lone cowboy, be a lone cowboy in your own backyard but
not across the planet.

Bye
Frederik