[Tagging] Fast Food Restaurants

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue May 28 23:57:13 UTC 2013

Tac Tacelosky <tacman at gmail.com> writes:

> Yeah, tag keys should follow that, but not key values.  I'm sure there
> are values with single and double quotes, commas and semi-colons.

Sorry, I meant tag values that are essentially keywords, such as
amenity=fast_food.  Basically the values for amenity should not only
follow the a-z0-9_ plan, but be intended eventually to form a smallish
set.
Tags like "name=Foo bar" are something else; that's a value that can be
searched for, but isn't machine-parsed as a catgory

> Does OSM support any sort of multi-tag structure, like
> "cuisine:japanese" AND "cuisine:thai"?

cuisine="japanese;thai"

would be the way to do that.  The quotes are meant to be part of the
input representation; the actual tag value doesn't have the " in it.

This only sort of works; you can have amenity=restaurant with multiple
cuisines, but if you have amenity=restaurant;bar and then cuisine on the
restaurant it gets hard to parse.  So for that case I'd have two POIs,
one restaurant and one bar, assuming they are different things (like in
a hotel).   A restaurant that had a bar area I'd just call a restaurant.