[Tagging] Fast Food Restaurants

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Wed May 29 23:54:17 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Tac Tacelosky <tacman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking at a picture of a restaurant, and asking the user what
> type of establishment it is.  Because I'm not yet weighing tags, the
> user has choices like "donut" and "donuts", and has no idea which to
> pick.  I'm working on a way now to at least present the most likely
> tag (based on taginfo).

The existing editors (JOSM, Potlatch 2, iD) have presets.
All these editors are Free/Open Source and so you can take a look at
what they do.

You will find that a vast majority of users simply use the editor
presets, so by following them, your application will most easily
integrate with what's already being done.

Also, the wiki has documentation on recommendations, and taginfo can show use.

But if you follow the presets that the other editors use, I suspect a
great deal of these questions will be answered definitively, and since
Josm, Potlatch and iD constitute some 99.something% of all edits, your
bases will be pretty well covered.

- Serge