[Tagging] Remote controlled devices

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Nov 2 05:16:25 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:

> Typically it calls for 4 way red when an emergency vehicle approaches,
> and delay or advanced green for high priority vehicles like a bus.

Most modern implementations have the signal go all possible movements green
for the signals facing the direction the emergency vehicle is coming from,
in an attempt to clear any jam and at least get a single lane open for the
EMVEH to pass.  This is especially true of intersections where one or more
directions has a median.  In Tulsa, this is a good way to gauge how the
smart signal rollout is coming, since the smart signal parts of the grid
will also change the next downstream light in all directions green facing
the intersection of the emergency vehicle's approach, in an effort to get
as much traffic potentially in it's path away as much as possible.  The
older ones will go all-red, or, for some reason I can't possibly fathom,
turn the side street green instead...

Busses definitely do seem to get priority at the signals on the smartgrid
parts of town, though I don't see emitters on the buses.  I figured the
signals were also tapped into Tulsa Transit's bus tracker and were
anticipating their approach based on speed and location as the system's
tracking it via GPS and radio.