[Tagging] Primary or Trunk?

Jonathan bigfatfrog67 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 18:47:51 UTC 2013

This question is really aimed at UK roads but the same may apply to
other countries.

I'm not clear with the distinction of a Trunk road in the UK. The wiki
suggests a trunk road is "high performance roads that don't meet the
requirement for highway
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=motorway
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dmotorway>" which to me
would suggest an A road that is a dual carriageway.  Further on in the
wiki it says that any A road in the UK  signed with "Green" signs is a
"Trunk" road.

I know of many "Green" "A" roads that aren't much more than country
lanes, they are definitely not "high performance" and I don't feel they
should be "Trunk" roads, I feel they should be "Primary" roads.

Where do we draw the line?  (No pun intended)

Thoughts?

Jonathan

--
http://bigfatfrog67.me