[Tagging] Primary or Trunk?

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 3 14:10:52 UTC 2013

Am 02.11.2013 20:43, schrieb Fernando Trebien:
> I know that in Germany and in Argentina roads are being classified
> based primarily on administration level (national, regional, city,
> etc.). Classifying like this probably works well when the entire road
> system is well maintained.
>
> In Brazil, however, we had tons of discussions on how to do it and
> ended up deciding (though reluctantly) to classify based on several
> objective structural characteristics that seemed closely related to
> "importance". That is mostly because many regional/municipal roads are
> definitely more important (thus, preferable) than other, smaller
> national roads. Here's what we ended up with:
> http://i.imgur.com/YH8azIA.png

Please, do not use living_street the way you have it in your picture.

Living_street is a special case and has to be signed individually.

It is one major mistake in OSM-Historie and should be changed to
highway=*, living_street=yes like motorroad and bicycle_road.

As already said, if one classification does not exist in a country just
do not use it.

On the other hand classification is not always that easy and if politics
get involved it gets even more tricky.

In my area traffic was split on two roads running almost parallel but
one has a restriction on weight. I ended up with two primaries as one
has much traffic but the otherone is the route for hgv.

Cheers
fly