[Tagging] Primary or Trunk?

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 17:35:47 UTC 2013

Hello fly,

Thank you for your concern. I'm glad we agree that classification is a
hard topic sometimes. First, the graph is intended for mapping within
Brazil and not overseas. I don't wanna delve too deeply in the details
of our discussion (it would probably be long, boring and maybe only
interesting for Brazilians themselves), but I can assure you that when
we established those definitions we were trying to make our mapping
style as compatible with the rest of the world as possible. And by
"we" I mean I was not alone - many active users participated, the
graph had many "candidate" forms before we agreed this was probably
the best we could do for now. Best in terms of balancing clarity
(objectivity), complexity (how hard is the decision-making process)
and quality of the end result (the map). The graph hasn't changed in
the last 6 months and we only have two Brazilian-borne complaints in
queue since then, one of which is minor, the other a little harder
(but already being addressed) and none related to living streets.

So, you're right, living streets do not exist in Brazil according to
the strictest definitions of OSM (a legally designated road where
pedestrians have right of way over cars). However, I disagree that
they should not be used here at all. Brazil has no "primaries",
"secondaries" or "tertiaries", it has arteries, collectors and local
streets, national, state and municipal roads, and so on. These
concepts are mapped to OSM, with local adaptations, right? Many
definitions are left open in OSM; for instance, we had heated debates
on how to distinguish track, path and footway. When we reached out for
the international community, we discovered that each country has its
own definition, often more or less incompatible with that of other
countries.

Then, there are a few people who think it is useful to map the concept
of "living streets" to some sort of warning system for drivers. Those
who would benefit most from this would be tourists, certainly. There
are places with poor infrastructure that simply force pedestrians to
share space with vehicles. There are places where this sharing is
simply part of the local culture. For all practical matters, these
places function pretty much like living streets (heavy pedestrian
traffic sharing space with vehicles, which are then forced to slow
down considerably), just without the legal requirement. A distracted
driver that does not know these facts has a higher chance of causing
an accident. And if the driver knew about these streets beforehand,
he/she would usually prefer to avoid them, thus affecting routing
decisions. All that is valuable local knowledge.