[Tagging] Pre-proposal: Newsagent / Kiosk / Tobacco / TIcket shop

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Sun Nov 3 19:49:56 UTC 2013

On 3 November 2013 15:26, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/11/3 Matthijs Melissen <info at matthijsmelissen.nl>
>> Do these kind of shops also exist in other countries, and how are they
>> referred to? Which of the products that I listed do they sell?

> There is surely some overlap between countries, but there are also country
> specific specialties. A shop which sells this kind of stuff in Germany could
> also be a petrol station. In Italy a shop=tobacco might also sell salt
> (traditionally salt was a state monopoly), but won't sell books generally.
> Bus tickets will mostly be sold, concert tickets I'm not sure, but they will
> also do some kind of banking operations (you can pay e.g. your rent or your
> electricity bill there). As for postal stamps I wouldn't count on them, they
> might have some of the most used fractions, but very often they'd say
> they've run out. They also won't sell magazines or newspapers by default,
> but there are some (combined shops) that do. Often they are inside a bar and
> will therefor sell coffee, liquors, sandwiches, etc. Besides from these
> tobacco - bars a tobacco shop won't offer drinks.

Alright, so mapping Italian tobacco shops as shop=newsagent would not
make sense. On the other hand, in the Netherlands there are shops that
offer everything you might find in a German shop=tobacco (newspapers,
magazines, post stamps, lottery bills), except for the tobacco
products. So mapping these shops as shop=newsagent wouldn't make sense
either. So indeed it seems we will need two tags for very similar
shops. Also, we would need to find a way how to tag shops that sell
both tobacco and newspapers.

Also, I'm still not sure how shop=kiosk fits in this picture.

-- Matthijs

-- Matthijs