[Tagging] Pre-proposal: Newsagent / Kiosk / Tobacco / TIcket shop

Martin Koppenhöfer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 23:03:13 UTC 2013

Am 03.11.2013 um 20:49 schrieb Matthijs Melissen <info at matthijsmelissen.nl>:

> Alright, so mapping Italian tobacco shops as shop=newsagent would not
> make sense. On the other hand, in the Netherlands there are shops that
> offer everything you might find in a German shop=tobacco (newspapers,
> magazines, post stamps, lottery bills), except for the tobacco
> products. So mapping these shops as shop=newsagent wouldn't make sense
> either.

IMHO for these Dutch shops newsagent would make sense, especially if they don't sell tobacco.

What do you want to tag, places to buy tobacco, newspapers, bus tickets, lottery tickets? Or all of this combined? Which are the essential parts, and which are optional?

What kind of tobacco? Are you interested in shops specialized in cigars? or pipes? If you smoke one of these it makes a big difference, and finding a shop specialized in the other one won't help you...

> So indeed it seems we will need two tags for very similar
> shops. Also, we would need to find a way how to tag shops that sell
> both tobacco and newspapers.

IMHO newspapers and tobacco have nothing in common besides that in a few European countries you can buy both in the same shop, but in Germany you can also buy tobacco in a supermarket, at a petrol station and in many other places (e.g. small convenience stores).

> Also, I'm still not sure how shop=kiosk fits in this picture.

Just about the same as shop=sales_booth would ;-)
Kiosk is a building typology and not a shop typology in the first place, my guess is it's German-centric, as in German it's used for this kind of newsagent typically also selling tobacco, sweets and lottery tickets, operating out of a kiosk.

Cheers,
Martin