[Tagging] New feature: amenity=creche

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 23:28:58 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-03 17:07, Gilbert Hangartner wrote :
> Hi André,
>
> I first wrote "crèche", obviously. Then I sent a mail to the mailing
> list, and the "è" was not rendered correctly. So I concluded that
> having a non-ascii character in a tag might be more of a nuisance …
> I'm french speaking and would obviously prefer a è. Can you point me
> to some information how this kind of questions is treated in OSM?
>
> nounours
Bonsoir <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1xj_LQg-oI> Nounours
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtVUOru8YM>,

The bible speaks of that
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.6#General_information>: Any
payload is in XML form, using the MIME type "text/xml" and UTF-8
character encoding, ... [hence the database...] but most of all this
page, very explicitly
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Any_tags_you_like#Characters>.
There was also a page whose discussion was very positive about UTF-8,
can't find it any more.

The choice of a key or value is not a matter of character set but of
understanding, English being the mostly used common language between
people talking different languages.

Contrary to what certain people claim, no more that a Chinese character
is typographically an assembly of little signs, "è" is not an accent on
an "e". It used to be like that before 1985, when people used "e
backspace accent" with Wordstar on CP/M computers, but that's now
ancient history.  It should be noticed that the new 8859-1 code that
made "è" a single character is also (almost) the ANSI code (American
National Standards Institute).
All that has been swept away by a single worldwide code ISO 10646,
shortly said, aka UNICODE, aka UTF-8 that the world waited for decades.
There is now no reason to use anything else.

No more than "tagging for the renderer", UTF-8 must not be avoided
because of a few bugs here and there.  Just as the renderer must be
fixed, they say, so must the bugs.

Cordialement,

Papou.