[Tagging] opening-hours: how to code "always but..."? Syntax diagram.

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 16:21:40 UTC 2013

On 14:16, 6 November 2013 (UTC), [[User:Ypid|Ypid]] wrote :
> I am not sure if we need two syntax diagrams. Sorry that the syntax
> diagram I added to the Wiki ([[Key:opening_hours:specification]]) was
> not so obvious.
Oh yes, OSM taggers badly need an easier to read syntax diagram.
I spent more that one hour figuring how to tag the most simple Opening
Hours rule there is, reading four times almost the whole OH=* page,
which is a lot. There is no doubt that other taggers would have given up
adding that tag in less than one minute. That's why I made the diagram.
Because I now realized that, although translating the whole page, my
diagram is incomplete compared to the hidden diagram, I changed the
title to "Simplified Syntax diagram" and a good idea would be to
simplify it even more while still covering 95% of the cases, because my
main conclusion is that there is complete misunderstanding.
I met ten different opinions regarding key points such as usage of
'24/7", the meaning and the necessity of "off" and what is the initial
state of the logic, "open" or "closed". I realized that nobody knew the
existence of the "open" and "closed" tokens for the simple reason that,
no more that the initial state, they don't appear in the OH=* page and
that people wouldn't take time to read the full diagram in addition to a
whole page anyway, unless to clarify some point.  So, I added "open" and
"closed" to the simplified diagram.
But most of all, if you really want programs to use that tag, make the
rules very strict and not a fuzzy matter as the general tone about
discussing this tag was, like discussing many tags in general.
(OSM even refuses to label the keys as objects or attributes because,
they say, it's a matter of each tagger's opinion !!! )

In short: if you want taggers to use Opening Hours, yes I urge you to
keep a Simplified Diagram and if you want them to do it all in the same
correct way and programs to use it, make sure it is correct (and maybe
write an Osmose plugin: they and everybody will appreciate).

I hope this will be my last contribution to OH; many other things to do.

Anybody's opinion?

Cheers,

André.