[Tagging] Visual editor for the wiki (WAS: How to overcome lack of consensus)

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 00:33:58 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-29 01:40, Clifford Snow wrote :
> I wonder if anyone actually uses LibreOffice for wiki pages [visual
> edition]. Learning wiki markdown takes a while. I can certainly see
> the desire to have a visual editor. A visual editor could lower the
> bar for contributions.
> http://de.slideshare.net/manuelaschmidt1/poster-dresden-icc
> <http://de.slideshare.net/manuelaschmidt1/poster-dresden-icc> has some
> interesting statistics on why only a small portion of new users
> contribute. The number one reason for not mapping is it is too time
> consuming. Not exactly the same as editing the wiki and the sample
> size was small, but I think it is safe to assume that people may not
> want to learn another editor to contribute .
Yes, you're absolutely right.

Maybe we should remember that a wiki supports HTML, well, a good part of
it, simple HTML as I described it before.
With Thunderbird, I made the little evaluation test shown under my
signature and copied to a wiki page.
A HTML editor like Kompozer may be used. It's WYSIWYG. The main problem
is avoiding the HTML that doesn't work.
Beside that, one must just find how to copy HTML code to a Wiki page.

And hence, it's disappointing to see that what has been discussed on
lists, coming to suggestions, decisions or education may remains hidden
in e-mails.  Some e-mail threads could be digested in one message ->
wiki page, keeping what remains true, is important, and makes a
proposition, a decision or excellent education.

Cheers,

André.

While I was writing the following of this e-mail with Thunderbird, I
copied&pasted its HTML code to:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Papou/HTML_in_wiki_pages
(and left in some misunderstood tags to tidy up)
Unfortunately, the <a tag does not work, but you see a workaround below.

All that was very WYSIWYG for what works.
Unfortunately, pasting again the message after I sent it to myself got a
weird formating problem.

This is a HTML demo of HTML features that work in a wiki page.

This is a table of contents (with the Wiki tag _ _ T O C _ _ typed in
HTML text)

__TOC__

  Title 1

    Title 2