[Tagging] "Feature Proposal - RFC - bicycle=use_cycleway

Pee Wee piewie32 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 18:50:28 UTC 2013

2013/11/12 Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com>

> Pee Wee
>
> A couple of questions.
>
> How does this improve mapping/routing over using bicycle=no?

For an ordinary bike I do not think that routing will differ from the
situation where we would tag all these type 2 way's with a "bicycle-no" .
The problem is that there are many mappers that do not think it is wise to
add a bicycle=no on a road that has no explicit ban for bicycles. And they
do have a point because there are many exceptions. On the DE forum there's
been a discussion <http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=21938>about
this (in english).  The new tag makes better routing possible for all these
exeptions without tags like "my special vehicle=yes" or "a team with more
then 10 racebikes=yes" etc.

How does your proposal distinguish the exceptions to the rule that you gave
> as an example below?

I'm afraid I do not understand what you mean. Could you give an example?

> Cheers
> Dave F.
>
> On 12/11/2013 18:16, Pee Wee wrote:
>

>> Legallythese 2 roads are not the same. For example.. in NL some 3
>> wheelbicycles with certain measurements are allowed to ride the second type
>> of road.In other countries there is also a legal difference. For this
>> reason we propose this new tag.

Verbeter de wereld. Word mapper voor
openstreetmap<http://www.openstreetmap.nl/>.