[Tagging] "Feature Proposal - RFC - bicycle=use_cycleway

Masi Master masi-master at gmx.de
Tue Nov 12 23:46:18 UTC 2013

Hi all,
I'm the co-author of this proposal.
There are a difference about bicycle-forbidden and a compulsory cycleway.

At a "bicycle forbidden" section cycling is not allowed ever.
At a road with a compulsory cycleway, it is allowed to cycle on the road,
if the cycleway is not passable, reachable or some other exceptions.
Example:
http://mijndev.openstreetmap.nl/~peewee32/use_cycleway/Bicycle_use_cycleway.htm?map=cycleways&zoom=18&lat=51.10724&lon=7.38169&layers=B00000FFFFFFFTFFFFFFF
With bicycle=no the secondary is not reachable. With bicycle=use_cycleway
a router can give those roads a lower factor.

In Germany it is allowed to leave the cycleway for a leftturn, if you
choose the normal leftturn-lane (which cars use). Or in Austria training
with a racebike is allowed to don't look after compulsory cycleway. I.e.
for the last case the router can give you an option to allow
"bicycle=use_cycleway"-roads.

We can't wait until all router add this tag, because they would say: "we
pay heed to this tag, because is not common.

Cheers
Masi (MasiMaster)