[Tagging] "Feature Proposal - RFC - bicycle=use_cycleway

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 20:19:22 UTC 2013

2013/11/14 Ronnie Soak <chaoschaos0909 at googlemail.com>

> For the access tags (and we do discuss access tags here), it is common
> practice to have country-specific defaults on certain highway types as
> listed in the wiki [1] and only tag what contradicts those defaults.

I'm not sure any of the current routers uses these country specific
defaults. My guess is that "normal" roads will always be allowed for
everybody except specified explicitly differently, and motorways and roads
with motorroad=yes will exclude certain slow vehicles. Cycleways will allow
cycling and footways walking and usually not cycling. If some country
specific defaults are different and nothing is tagged, it probably won't
work. Usually mappers do add "default" properties explicitly on roads and
ways, and the more mature a region is mapped, the more of those attributes
you'd usually find.

cheers,
Martin