[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Gambling

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 01:22:18 UTC 2013


On 14 November 2013 11:54, Matthijs Melissen <info at matthijsmelissen.nl>wrote:

>
> Hmm, difficult to get the difference right. How would you call a place
> with video games and pinball machines? What if there are also claw
> cranes?
>

I'd call it an amusement arcade, but that's probably just a local term.
Also games arcade.


Are there in fact countries where there are distinct places for
> gambling machines and gaming machines?
>

Yes. In Queensland, Australia (other states may have slightly different
rules) they are very distinct. However, just confuse things, the gambling
machines are officially known as "Gaming machines" here, and their location
is know as a "Gaming room". Generally they are called pokies or poker
machines, though, no matter what type of gambling it actually is. Gambling
machines must be licensed (and there a limited number of licences for the
entire state) and can only be found in casinos or in "Gaming rooms" in
clubs or pubs. These locations are restricted by age, and always licensed
premises (can serve alcohol). I've never heard of video (non-gambling)
games being in one of these rooms.

Non gambling machines, which include games where you get tickets/points for
doing well that you can trade for prizes, are in "Amusement arcades", which
are often in shopping centres, near cinemas, etc. They are often have games
designed for children, there are no age restrictions, and the machines do
not need to be licensed in any way.


> Perhaps game arcade is also be a useful term?
>
> For the Americans on the list: Dave and Buster's and Chucke E. Cheese
> are mentioned on the wiki as examples of video arcades. What kind of
> games do these places offer? I suppose no gambling?
>
> -- Matthijs
>
> _______________________________________________
> Tagging mailing list
> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
>



On 14 November 2013 11:54, Matthijs Melissen <info at matthijsmelissen.nl>wrote:

> On 11 November 2013 18:02, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2013-11-11 at 17:50 +0100, fly wrote:
>
> >> What I miss so far is a way to better describe what kind of gambling is
> >> possible, no weather what kind of place it is, similar to gambling=*
> >>
> >> Do we need a tag for each machines ?
> >> How do I tag a bar with some machines ? a backdoor room ?
>
> I agree that that would be useful to have, but I would prefer to leave
> it out of the scope of this proposal. I think it is important to first
> have the main type of venues right. After that we can always define
> new tags for slot machines in pubs, etc. The proposal is already quite
> big, so I think we should not increase the scope of the proposal for
> now.
>
> > I would agree here, playing for pleasure does need to be distinguished
> > from gambling. Gambling will imply age restrictions on entry, whereas
> > playing video games does not.
>
> Hmm, difficult to get the difference right. How would you call a place
> with video games and pinball machines? What if there are also claw
> cranes?
>
> Are there in fact countries where there are distinct places for
> gambling machines and gaming machines?
>
> Perhaps game arcade is also be a useful term?
>
> For the Americans on the list: Dave and Buster's and Chucke E. Cheese
> are mentioned on the wiki as examples of video arcades. What kind of
> games do these places offer? I suppose no gambling?
>
> -- Matthijs
>
> _______________________________________________
> Tagging mailing list
> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20131115/0455aa52/attachment.html>


More information about the Tagging mailing list