[Tagging] Telecoms local loops connections nodes

Malcolm Herring malcolm.herring at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 21 15:38:49 UTC 2013

On 20/11/2013 23:53, François Lacombe wrote:
> Is "Central Office" the right english term for all kind of nodes ?

No. Central Office (North American term) or [telephone]exchange 
(UK/Ireland term) usually implies the location of a switch as well as 
the MDF and line terminations. However local loop nodes can be located 
remotely from a switch. Often these are in small cabinets, huts, etc. 
and contain the line termination (copper, co-ax or fibre) and a 
multiplexer to drive the back-haul (uplink) line to the switch location.

So in tagging tagging telecom network infrastructure, you need to know 
what equipment is present within a structure.

More information about the Tagging mailing list