[Tagging] Telecoms local loops connections nodes

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Thu Nov 21 17:32:43 UTC 2013

François Lacombe wrote:
> 2013/11/21 Malcolm Herring <malcolm.herring at btinternet.com 
> <mailto:malcolm.herring at btinternet.com>>
>     No. Central Office (North American term) or [telephone]exchange
>     (UK/Ireland term) usually implies the location of a switch as well
>     as the MDF and line terminations.
>     So in tagging tagging telecom network infrastructure, you need to
>     know what equipment is present within a structure.
> Ok for the central office <=> PSTN switch association.
> May we introduce telecom=connection_node for building where only lines 
> are terminating without any switch inside ?
> telecom=central_office will still stand for building hosting PSTN switch.

No.  "Lines terminating without a switch inside" is in English (at least 
in the language of the former monopoly provider) a "Cabinet".

Likewise if you want to use the correct English term for what you're 
calling "Central Office" or "MDF", use "Telephone Exchange".  I've never 
heard the description "Central Office" before - presumably it's American 

"Joint" is also used for servicable things outside the exchange that 
aren't cabinets.

Someone asked a very similar question to this in an Australian context a 
year or so ago (probably also on this list or the help site).  It's 
worth having a search for that to find the previous answers.



-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20131121/5afb6f87/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list