[Tagging] Telecoms local loops connections nodes

François Lacombe francois.lacombe at telecom-bretagne.eu
Thu Nov 21 17:07:04 UTC 2013

2013/11/21 Malcolm Herring <malcolm.herring at btinternet.com>

> No. Central Office (North American term) or [telephone]exchange
> (UK/Ireland term) usually implies the location of a switch as well as the
> MDF and line terminations.
>
> So in tagging tagging telecom network infrastructure, you need to know
> what equipment is present within a structure.

Ok for the central office <=> PSTN switch association.

May we introduce telecom=connection_node for building where only lines are
terminating without any switch inside ?
telecom=central_office will still stand for building hosting PSTN switch.

In france, infrastructure operator is actually publishing a list of these
nodes, but we can't find a list of PSTN switches. Thus, mapping termination
nodes seems easier than PSTN switches.

2013/11/21 Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>

> I'd go with telecom. Also called telco, but that term fortunately hasn't
> been tagged.

It's like "trafo" in power standing for "transformer".
Ok for telecom=*

>> - How would we distinguish a copper central office from optical or coax
>> ones ? Be careful, a copper one can be an optic one or coax one too.
>>

> I don't think you can. It would have to be an imported source of data.
> Then you have the problem of keeping it current.

The question was concerning tags.

Data source may be available (like in Germany, or in France by looking at
building permission for new optical central offices) so we need tags to
handle it.

For example :
Copper lines connection node: telecom=connection_node +
connection_node=copper
Optical lines connection node: telecom=connection_node +
connection_node=optical
And so on with different types of local loops.

And when multiple types are inside the same building ?
connection_node=copper;optical ?

013/11/21 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>

> if you want to tag the building use a building-tag ;-)

Don't agree.

We actually map inside power substations with building=yes +
power=substation
For a central office we may use building=yes + telecom=central_office

> Do you have the concept of "industrial privacy" in France? AFAIK in
> Germany businesses don't have privacy (but they do have secrets of course).
> Privacy is a human right and as such associated with humans.

Oops, I've made a mistake : confidentiality would be better than industrial
privacy ;)

It was just to remind to don't use protected data. I know in France or in
Belgium we can find leaked files on websites which can't be inserted in OSM
without the official permission of their owner, as usual.

*François Lacombe*

http://www.infos-reseaux.com