[Tagging] opening-hours off closed

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 15:15:39 UTC 2013

Hi,

I had to tag the simplest thing there is: a parking lot closed a few
hours on Fridays (during market time).
On wiki.osm.org/wiki/Opening_hours
<http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Opening_hours>, I found explanations by,
rather than a simple diagram, a lot of examples and explanations
sometimes nearing slang like "off" rather than the internationally
understood "closed".
After spending much time reading them several times, I didn't find how
to code that ubiquitous case.
I queried this list and I received something like six different and
alternating answers.
Someone even said that "off", crowding the page, is not to be used.
So, I thought that this fuzzy matter had to be be solved by writing a
simple syntax diagram. Should anything be wrong in it, someone would put
it right and it would be a good job jobbed and a big step forward.
Instead of that, someone added to footnote 1 the very clear sentence "no
program works like that", looking like a discussion message.  I posted
here that it would be better to state (and fix) how the diagram must be
rather than how it must not (I also receive repeated updates notices
from the discussion page in which someone put a vote).

And now, probably in thanks for my contribution, my diagram was adorned
with this:

Warning <http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/File:Ambox_warning_pn.svg>
	The syntax diagram below had no proper discussion and vote, and
conflicts with established tagging. *Don't use it!*

It is obviously something very difficult to understand that a diagram
translating an article needs no discussion nor vote but needs to be
corrected to align with the obscure explanations by their gurus.  Else,
it's the article itself that suffers from lack of discussion and vote.
That remark still doesn't say what's wrong in the diagram.

In practical conclusion, two months after stating the problem I still
don't see how to do.  I know that the diagram is wrong but not what in
it and there is still no example in the page explaining how to tag that
ubiquitous case.

So, I followed my best option: remove my tagging, unsubscribe and forget
it all about opening-hours.
That's probably what a many mappers have done silently, unless it's true
that they tag in every which way.

Help OSM, they say.
All the best for the rest

André.