[Tagging] opening-hours off closed

nounours kuessemondtaeglich at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 15:32:34 UTC 2013

Dear André,

Also being new to OSM and new to the tagging mailing list, I completely understand your frustration. And I also believe that a lot of people left OSM because even if they try hard, the don't get it right.

On the other hand, I also understand the people being involved for a long time in OSM, to explain over and over again the same things ...

But I think, in all documentations on the wiki, there is a lot of "clean-up" needed, to make clear to newcomers what's valid and what's not. And also I think contributors would benefit from a badge indicating the state, like "I'm new and willing to learn. If I do something wrong, it's not on purpose", in opposition to a badge "I'm an old OSM guy and grounchy, and if I do something, I do it on purpuse to make life harder for others".

In a conlcusion, I only can ask you to stay and help to transform OSM in the way your suggesting.

Concerning opening_hours: I'm very much happy that finally someone (André) tries to simply this tag. I personally think the original definition is a nightmare, and even Andrés "simplified" syntax looks very, very complicated to a normal mapper.

Well, I really hope the person that added the "don't use it"-flag will remove it and help to improve André diagramm!

Thanks, nounours

(badge: greenhorn, but willing to learn)