[Tagging] preproposal : internet webcam

Egil Hjelmeland privat at egil-hjelmeland.no
Thu Nov 28 19:00:18 UTC 2013

I have to my surprise not been able to find any established practice for
tagging webcams on internet. I am thinking of cameras that display a
place, so you can click in to see the weather, snow conditions and such.
As a service to the public, not to Big Brother. So I feel
man_made=surveillance is wrong. Also I suspect most surveillance cameras
are not public on internet.

I think amenity=webcam is a good tag. Applies to node.

Tags to use in combination: At least one of

url=... for the actual image.
website=... for the html page where the cameras are found

Other relevant keys taken from man_made=surveillance

name= ... name of place
operator=
camera:direction=
camera:angle=

description=... description of what you can see in the image. Possibly
with language tags

fixme=guessed location

There are border cases between amenity=webcam and man_made=surveillance.
In that case I suggest using both tags. Example: road cameras that show
driving conditions on the road.

One issue I see is when there are multiple cameras on the same spot,
facing different directions. For instance in a mast. Create one node for
each camera with the same coordinates? Tie them with an relation? The
other alternative, making lists with OSM tags seem very cumbersome?

Comments?
-- Egil H