[Tagging] opening-hours off closed

Eckhart Wörner ewoerner at kde.org
Sat Nov 30 09:55:28 UTC 2013

Hi André,

Am Samstag, 30. November 2013, 02:06:36 schrieb André Pirard:
> You wrote that "off" must not be defined but "grasped" and it really
> looks so.
> You keep using the word "wrong" instead of showing what is right.

I told you both how "off" has to be interpreted and the reason why it has to be interpreted that way in a previous mail already.
Unfortunately I cannot tell you what is right, only what I perceive to be right.

> > - "open" and "closed" appear to be some new invention
> You'd better explain this:
>
> <times_for_days> 	*24/7* 	→ open
> *open* [ <comment> ]
> *closed* [ <comment> ] 	→ closed
> <day_list> *off* 	→ closed

You do realize that you took this from a page which states:
"This specification corresponds […] to opening_hours.js."

> > - daily, weekly, monthly don't exist in that form. It is perfectly
> > valid to combine them, e.g.
> > Apr-Oct Mo-Fr 07:00-20:00
> That isn't causing tagging mistakes as you suggest below.

You are right, this one does not cause tagging mistakes, I merely listed it for completeness.

> My goal was to untangle all that for the users and they seem to like it.

"They like it" and "they tag it the wrong way" don't exclude each other.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Time_domains

> > […] one can expect two outcomes:
> > (1) someone might correct the mistake
> > (2) people start tagging the wrong way In the last two months, only
> > (2) happened.
> (3) people applauded the gift and thanked for having found something
> more comprehensible

Again, (2) and (3) don't exclude each other.

Eckhart