[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - landuse=highway

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Nov 29 15:07:06 UTC 2013

Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> writes:

> 2013/11/17> The definition given for the landuse-polygon seems too restrictive, I'd
> ditch the second part "are constructed up to a boundary or barrier
> separating this land from private property."
> (Because there doesn't have to be private property along a road, and
> neither there will always be boundaries or barriers).

In Massachusetts, there is essentially always a lot boundary adjacent to
a "highway" (which means a legal road).   Sometimes those lots are owned
by the government.   But there's a very clear notion of "being within
the the land allocated to the roadway" which is much wider than the
pavement.

So I think landuse=highway does make sense and should be about some
blend of land ownership, lot lines, etc.  I don't mean to say that
should be mandatory, but it's how it should be when it makes sense
contextually.