[Tagging] Hiking route abandoned

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Wed Oct 2 06:41:08 UTC 2013

Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> The problem with disused: is the object disappears from the map.

Leaving aside the "which map?" question, lots of things don't get
rendered; it makes sense for a disused restaurant to NOT be rendered as
a restaurant, since whatever it is, it's not currently somewhere where
you can have a meal.

> Your alternative is to leave it "on the map" as it does in fact exist.
> Then use "access=" to clarify the status.  It might have degraded from
> "access=public" down to "access=no" or "access=permissive" depending.

In the example of a hiking route, that's a bad idea since it the access
tag implies something entirely different to "is / is not signed" - in
this case "am I legally allowed to go there?".

The things that I end up marking as "disused" are things like pubs,
restaurants and churches, and in some cases "disused:amenity" might make
sense (it was an X, is now boarded up, but might become an X again in
the future) whereas in others some kind of note or "former_X" tag might
make sense (as an indicator to mappers as much as anything else - e.g.
the building here was an X, but has been converted to a private house
and is likely to stay that way). Basically, leave it to local mappers to
choose - any attempt at enforcing a top-down system will miss the
nuances of what's happening locally.

Cheers,

Andy