[Tagging] Ferry frequency

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Fri Oct 4 14:28:26 UTC 2013

Thanks all - some great suggestions. To clarify, I'm not looking to put
detailed timetable information in (that properly belongs in a GTFS feed or
somesuch, not OSM), just a broad-brush indication to help routing engines.

Based on Richard M's and Janko's suggestions, I'm tempted to use:

    journeys=4/hour
    journeys=2     or    journeys=2/day
    journeys=on_demand

to indicate, respectively, four journeys in each direction per day; two
journeys in each direction per day; and the sort of ferry where you go to
the bank, wave the ferryman down, and he comes to take you across.

That avoids any confusion about "frequency" (a tram might have both
meanings!) and is simple both for the mapper and for the consumer.

I note there's also a reservation= tag
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:reservation) which will be useful
for ferries where booking in advance is required.

cheers
Richard