[Tagging] Usefulness of bicycle=dismount on ways

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 7 16:59:48 UTC 2013

On 07.10.2013 18:48, John F. Eldredge wrote:

> On some bridges that have a relatively narrow footway, I have seen signs
> indicating that bicyclists must dismount. So, I think that it is useful
> as a way of telling someone planning a cycle route "you will have to
> move at walking speed on this section".

As said above, I know these signs but I wonder if they are official.

In Germany they are not and the have no judicial effect. You will always
have to take care of pedestrians especially on a small way with mixed
use. Maybe you might even have to stop or dismount. But if you are
really only allowed to push you bicycle a bicycle=no or vehicle=no is
needed.

Router can work with footways or pathes and even steps and you do not
need bicycle=dismount.

fly