[Tagging] Usefulness of bicycle=dismount on ways

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Mon Oct 7 17:08:54 UTC 2013

On 10/07/2013 11:59 AM, fly wrote:
> On 07.10.2013 18:48, John F. Eldredge wrote:
>

>> On some bridges that have a relatively narrow footway, I have seen signs
>> indicating that bicyclists must dismount. So, I think that it is useful
>> as a way of telling someone planning a cycle route "you will have to
>> move at walking speed on this section".
> As said above, I know these signs but I wonder if they are official.
>
> In Germany they are not and the have no judicial effect. You will always
> have to take care of pedestrians especially on a small way with mixed
> use. Maybe you might even have to stop or dismount. But if you are
> really only allowed to push you bicycle a bicycle=no or vehicle=no is
> needed.
>
> Router can work with footways or pathes and even steps and you do not
> need bicycle=dismount.
>
> fly

Well, it may vary by jurisdiction, but I would not be surprised if it
were legally enforced in cases where riding the bicycle could be a
safety hazard to pedestrians, and in some cases to the cyclist as well.
I remember seeing such a "cyclists must dismount" on the narrow footway
of a bridge over the James River, in Richmond, Virginia, USA.  Not only
was the footway narrow, but the railing between the footway and the
river was only a little over a meter tall.  This is adequate for a
pedestrian, but a mounted cyclist could easily fall over the railing and
into the river. Unfortunately, I am about 600 miles from Richmond at the
present, so I can't show a photograph.