[Tagging] Wind turbines: big and small

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Mon Oct 7 18:05:18 UTC 2013

On 10/07/2013 12:33 PM, Janko Mihelic' wrote:

> Dana ponedjeljak, 7. listopada 2013., korisnik
> fly<lowflight66 at googlemail.com <mailto:lowflight66 at googlemail.com>> je
> napisao:
> > On 07.10.2013 15:12, Janko Mihelic' wrote:
> >> 2013/10/7 Dan S <danstowell+osm at gmail.com
> <mailto:danstowell%2Bosm at gmail.com> <mailto:danstowell+osm at gmail.com
> <mailto:danstowell%2Bosm at gmail.com>>>
> >>

> >>     (This
> >>     implies that tagging the height could be a solution... might be
> a bit
> >>     tricky to get correct height data though...)
> >>

> >> What if the wind turbine is on the roof of a building
> >> <https://www.google.hr/search?q=wind+turbine+on+the+roof>? That would
> >> still be high (because we tag height from the ground, not just the
> >> height of the wind turbine). Actually, all small wind turbines are
> >> usually high <https://www.google.hr/search?q=small+wind+turbine>.
> >
> > Please note, we have ele=* for elevation (ground level) and height=*
> > (height of the object). So tagging a turbine on the roof you would have
> > ele="elevation of building + height of building" and height would be
> > little more than the diametre I guess.
> >

> Wiki says "ele" is height of "ground" above sea level, and "height" is
> height of the highest point of an object above ground. But there is
> "min_height" for height of lowest point of an object above ground.
>
> See here: http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/File:Minlevel.svg
>
> Janko

As far as I know, we don't have a standard method for tagging the height
of an object mounted on top of another object, as distinct from the
combined heights of the objects above ground, or the elevation above sea
level of the base of the object.  There are likely to be other cases, in
addition to wind turbines, where this distinction would be useful.