[Tagging] Consolidating tags for building attributes

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 7 22:48:52 UTC 2013

On 07.10.2013 22:39, Vivien Deparday wrote:
> Thank you Tobias (sorry for the late answer), that is very useful
> feedback and pretty much exactly in line with our thinking on all the
> cases which is great. For B, we are actually also using plaster as one
> of the values as the values are recorded by looking at the building
> 'from the streets'.
> For C, I think we will use both building:use (for general usage
> categories) and building= with specific values in the cases similar to
> what you mentioned.
> The Kathmandu Living Labs Team has added a description of all the tags
> and values in the preset including for shape:elevation that you were
> asking about:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nepal/kathmandulivinglabs/exposuresurvey
> It is a simple way of recording the vertical shape if you cannot record
> all the details of each building.

Hey Vivien

Please change your building=* to building:use=*, Building=* is used for
the type of building but not the use. This might be the same e.g. if the
building was primary built as hospital and is still occupying one but
you will probably find kindergardens in normal residential buildings and
you will also find hospital buildings which are no building=hospital as
they where built to accommodate the staff and might still be in use this
way.

It is usally a good pratice to tag an amenity as area once it covers
more than one building.

Please do not use abbreviations if possible. I do not understand "icu"
nor "opd" but "intensive_care".

I am not sure about operator:type. Think your values would fit with
simple operator=* and if you want to separate the operator of the
building from the operator of the amenity I think operator:amenity would
be better

My 2 ct
Cheers fly