[Tagging] Usefulness of bicycle=dismount on ways

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 11:20:47 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 3:09 AM, fly <lowflight66 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hey
>
> I wonder if it is useful to tag bicycle=dismount on ways.
>
> At least in Germany there is no official traffic sign despite of the
> existence of some.
>
> You are allowed to push your bike on every footway/pedestrian plus ways
> with vehicle=no. E.g. it is useless. Either you are allowed to ride
> (bicycle=yes/designated) or not (bicycle=no or vehicle=no)
>
> I can understand if it is used together with barrier on nodes.
>
> How is the situation in other countries ?

In Australia, sometimes you see the sign "cyclists dismount". Usually, it's
the rather clueless designation of some council worker who is trying to
avoid a lawsuit in places like a bike path crossing a train track, or a
wooden boardwalk. (Effectively, it means "caution".)

I'd be inclined to map it, indicating "this is what the sign said".

As a routing engine, I'd probably treat it as a hint that a bike will be
going slower than normal, but still faster than walking.

Steve