[Tagging] Usefulness of bicycle=dismount on ways

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Tue Oct 8 08:20:45 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 07, 2013 at 06:09:30PM +0200, fly wrote:
> Hey
>
> I wonder if it is useful to tag bicycle=dismount on ways.
>
> At least in Germany there is no official traffic sign despite of the
> existence of some.
>
> You are allowed to push your bike on every footway/pedestrian plus ways
> with vehicle=no. E.g. it is useless. Either you are allowed to ride
> (bicycle=yes/designated) or not (bicycle=no or vehicle=no)
>
> I can understand if it is used together with barrier on nodes.
>
> How is the situation in other countries ?

I put a bicycle=no on a bridge where riding the bike is
definitly not allowed. There is a sign "Fahrradfahrer absteigen".

The point is that some cycle routes use this bridge so i immediatly
got mails that this tag does conflict with the route relation.

So i put a bicycle=dismount on the bridge and everbody was happy.

Flo