[Tagging] Usefulness of bicycle=dismount on ways

Stefan Tiran stefan.tiran at student.tugraz.at
Tue Oct 8 18:23:41 UTC 2013

Hi,

John F. Eldredge wrote:
> If you really meant "it is in no way acceptable to require people to dismount
> their bikes",

Indeed this is what I meant. Thanks for pointing out this ambiguity!

> what about the real-life situation I described earlier, a narrow
> footway along one side of a bridge, with a railing only slightly above waist
> level for a pedestrian? A mounted cyclist would have a high enough center of
> gravity that, should they collide with the railing, they would likely fall off
> of the bridge.

I do not fully understand your example of the bridge either. Are there
any other roads on the bridge or is it just a pedestrian bridge. If
there are other roads: are bicycles explicitly banned from using the
road or is it just that the drivers of some other vehicle do not like
them to use the road?

But in order to become on topic again: The reason why I wrote this post
was to point out, that this is something, a lot of people have very
strong feelings about and therefore such tags would lead to edit wars in
the database.

Yours,
Stefan