[Tagging] Usefulness of bicycle=dismount on ways

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Tue Oct 8 20:18:09 UTC 2013

Stefan Tiran <stefan.tiran at student.tugraz.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> John F. Eldredge wrote:
> > If you really meant "it is in no way acceptable to require people to
> dismount
> > their bikes",
>
> Indeed this is what I meant. Thanks for pointing out this ambiguity!
>
> > what about the real-life situation I described earlier, a narrow
> > footway along one side of a bridge, with a railing only slightly
> above waist
> > level for a pedestrian? A mounted cyclist would have a high enough
> center of
> > gravity that, should they collide with the railing, they would
> likely fall off
> > of the bridge.
>
> I do not fully understand your example of the bridge either. Are there
> any other roads on the bridge or is it just a pedestrian bridge. If
> there are other roads: are bicycles explicitly banned from using the
> road or is it just that the drivers of some other vehicle do not like
> them to use the road?
>
> But in order to become on topic again: The reason why I wrote this
> post
> was to point out, that this is something, a lot of people have very
> strong feelings about and therefore such tags would lead to edit wars
> in
> the database.
>
> Yours,
> Stefan

There are two lanes for automobile traffic, and a walkway on one side, separated from the automobile traffic by a barrier.  The river is wide enough that it would take a bicyclist two or three minutes to ride across.  There are two lanes for motor vehicle use, narrow enough that, if two cars were to try to pass each other and simultaneously pass a bicycle riding in the roadway, they would probably strike each other or the cyclist.  So, bicycles are not allowed to use the roadway. The walkway is only about 1.5 meters wide, and has a handrail on the outer side only about one meter high.  This is high enough to protect a pedestrian, but a mounted cyclist who lost his or her balance and fell against the handrail would likely fall off of the bridge.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness:
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.