[Tagging] Usefulness of bicycle=dismount on ways

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Wed Oct 9 13:55:15 UTC 2013

Georg Feddern <osm at bavarianmallet.de> wrote:
> Am 07.10.2013 19:13, schrieb Richard Welty:
> > On 10/7/13 1:08 PM, John F. Eldredge wrote:
> >> I remember seeing such a "cyclists must dismount" on the narrow
> >> footway of a bridge over the James River, in Richmond, Virginia,
> USA.
> >> Not only was the footway narrow, [...]
> > there's a cyclists must dismount sign for the footway along the Dunn
> > Bridge between Albany and Rensselaer NY.
>
> well, if it is tagged as highway=footway you already have to dismount
> -
> otherwise it would be tagged as highway=cycleway.
> So where is the need for a bicycle=dismount here?
>
> I only see the practical need for a bicycle:dismount=no where bicycles
>
> are even not allowed dismounted.
>
> Georg

Bicycle:dismount=no is ambiguous.  Many people are likely to interpret this as meaning "you are allowed to be mounted on a bike, but not allowed to dismount from a bike".  I think bicycle=no would be clearer in meaning.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness:
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.