[Tagging] Usefulness of bicycle=dismount on ways

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Wed Oct 9 14:11:17 UTC 2013

> Georg Feddern <osm at bavarianmallet.de> wrote:
>
>     Am 07.10.2013 19:13, schrieb Richard Welty:
>
>         On 10/7/13 1:08 PM, John F. Eldredge wrote:
>
>             I remember seeing such a "cyclists must dismount" on the
>             narrow footway of a bridge over the James River, in
>             Richmond, Virginia, USA. Not only was the footway narrow,
>             [...]
>
>         there's a cyclists must dismount sign for the footway along
>         the Dunn Bridge between Albany and Rensselaer NY.
>

>     well, if it is tagged as highway=footway you already have to dismount -
>     otherwise it would be tagged as highway=cycleway.
>     So where is the need for a bicycle=dismount here?

you're making an assumption about tagging of ways that may not apply
generally.
in some parts of the US, we have true multi-use paths where pedestrians and
cyclists are considered equal users. those are frequently tagged
highway=path
with access tags to denote the types of uses that are permitted.

for the two bridges i mentioned in the Albany NY area, both are connected to
the multi-use path network along the river and in OSM they're currently
tagged

   highway=path/foot=yes/bicycle=dismount

which accurately reflects the signage and legal usage.

if we create tagging schemes where you need to know the whole footway
= dismounted cyclist scheme, then you will end up with mistagging by those
who aren't aware of the distinction. we are better off, i think, if the
tagging
maps in an obvious way to the signs we see.

richard