[Tagging] Usefulness of bicycle=dismount on ways

Frank Little frankosm at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 10 17:30:25 UTC 2013

It is no longer clear to me what is being proposed since two different
situations are involved.

1. There are situations where there are signs telling a cyclist to
dismount. He/she can continue on the way, pushing the bike.
To tag these situations the current solution is to tag
"bicycle=dismount".
The original question was: "is it an 'official' sign?" The answer seems
to be, yes, in some jurisdictions (e.g. the UK).
We also have a similar sign in the Netherlands (although the legal
status is not entirely clear).
Where there is a sign (and only in those situations), it makes sense to
tag it accordingly. So there is no reason to "deprecate" the tag.
Possibly other tagging solutions need to be found where there is no
explicit signage but there are general rules (e.g. in Italy).

2. A different situation is where a cyclist is explicitly forbidden to
push the bike (e.g. through a pedestrian area) after dismounting.
The assumption is that a cyclist pushing a bike is to be treated as a
pedestrian, and may normally use a sidewalk, pedestrian zone, etc.
Where that is not allowed, we need a different tag.
I don't like bicycle:dismount=no since it suggests to me that you do not
have to dismount.
(On pragmatic grounds, I wouldn't tag this anyway because I don't expect
routers to use highway=footway or area=pedestrian for bicycle routing.)