[Tagging] Usefulness of bicycle=dismount on ways

Frank Little frankosm at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 10 23:07:49 UTC 2013

It's cycleway all the way down, under the bridge, and up the other side.
We don't get to decide whether it's a cycleway or not. That's what the
signs are for.
If it had changed into a footpath, there would be a sign (the Dutch are
good at that).

I agree that if there was a pedestrian sign, it would be enough to mark
it as a footway (implies 'dismount and push').

I certainly wouldn't mark it as bicycle=no, because bicycles are allowed
(they just have to be pushed).

Can anyone please explain what the problem is with keeping the tag
bicycle=dismount?
(And yes, I do understand that many cyclists, me included, don't like it
and often ignore it.)

But it not just a "made up" sign. It's there in real life. And we map
what is there.