[Tagging] Usefulness of bicycle=dismount on ways

Frank Little frankosm at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 11 12:30:46 UTC 2013

That depends where you are located, Mike. The rules in Germany, for
example, are different from the Netherlands.
Martin's statement is not necessarily true in the Netherlands (and
perhaps that is where the confusion begins).

In the Netherlands, the law states:
pedestrians use the sidewalk; if there is none, they use the cycleway;
if there is none, they use the (side of the) road.
Cycleways in the Netherlands are not signed separately for pedestrian
use.

There are three categories of cycleway, one only for bicycles, one for
bicycles and lightest category of mopeds (OSM: mofa), one where the
other category of mopeds is also allowed.
All three have a different sign. (The bicycle | pedestrians signs are
not used at all.)
It is not compulsory to use the first kind, the other two are compulsory
(you are not allowed to cycle on the adjacent road).
Whether you have to use the road instead of the cycleway with a heavy
class moped depends on the signs.
In general, the heavier class moped in the Netherlands must use the road
in the built-up area, but not always.

The general traffic regulations say that if you push your bicycle, you
follow the traffic rules for pedestrians.
This also applies to mopeds (both classes) and motorbikes: if you push
it, you follow the rules for pedestrians.
You do not become a pedestrian: your moped / motorbike needs a license
plate and road insurance.
And you need an appropriate driving license (for a moped/motorbike),
although you do not need to wear your helmet.

If your bike breaks down and you push it  and there is no sidewalk, you
behave as if you were a pedestrian and stay on the cycleway.
In the Netherlands.
(Other countries may have different rules.)