[Tagging] Substation proposal approved - and a suggestion for a post-vote change

Ole Nielsen on-osm at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 16 20:05:42 UTC 2013

On 16/10/2013 20:57, François Lacombe wrote:
> I was wondering if using line=* for busbars and bay is the best thing to
> do regarding of what line=* is commonly used for :
> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/?key=line
>
> There are busbar and bay obviously but many other values dealing with
> public transport.
>
> Thus, and I'm sorry to suggest that just 2 weeks after the end of the
> vote, power:line=* wouldn't be better for busbar and bay ?
> I'm planning to use this for some stuff in power transmission refinement.

I can't see any problems. line=* is indeed used a lot on public
transport features (mostly nodes (bus stops?) and relations). But there
shouldn't be any chance of confusion since the two contexts are so
different. In both situations (power and public transport) 'line' is
used only as an additional tag. It would indeed have been a problem if
'line' was a main tag used for identifying the type of feature. But that
is not the case here. 'power=*' is never used on public transport
features and vice versa.

Further line=busbar/bay follows the established practice of using the
main tag value as a key in an additional tag (power=line, line=busbar).
No need to make things more complex if there are no real conflicts.

Ole